1. In less than a minute, tell us who you are and why we keep hearing good things about you?
I'm a meditation teacher, and my work focuses on helping people develop their compassion and love for themselves and others. At this moment in time, we’re witnessing so much cruelty resulting from ignorance and fear. Loving kindness, or metta, meditation enables us to recognize our deep connection with one another and to bring kindness and care to our personal, interpersonal, and societal relationships.
2. What were the pivotal roadblocks and challenges you encountered along the way that helped you define your path?
My childhood was chaotic. As a young adult I believed I needed to be successful or talented or special to be accepted and loved, and I struggled with self-criticism and anxiety attacks. Meditation—and psychotherapy—enabled me to understand and appreciate so much about my feelings and behaviors. Practicing metta meditation steadied my mind so that I was not so caught in anxiety and allowed me to integrate painful aspects of myself that had been shameful to me.
3. Why did you choose this field? Who were your role models? And what pushed you to learn and become who you are?
I teach meditation because I want everyone to recognize what I recognized through practice—that there is nothing wrong with you, you can approach yourself with kindness, and you deserve love and compassion. My role models are also my teachers: Sharon Salzberg, Ven. Robina Courtin, and Thich Nhat Hanh, among many others, mostly in the Buddhist tradition.
4. What is your legacy? Do you care about leaving a legacy?
Every person who learns and practices metta from me is my legacy. All are creating the causes and conditions to bring about a kind, compassionate, and equitable world, no matter how long it takes.
5. What can we all do right now to make this world a better place?
Take a few minutes a day to be silent and still. Treat yourself and those closest to you with kind and caring thoughts, speech, and actions.
6. In less than a minute, without sounding like a used car salesperson, tell us where to find you and what is the next big thing that everyone should be anticipating from you?
I teach regularly online and in New York City. You can learn more in my Website and also follow me on Instagram. I'm writing a meditation book with practices to support everyone during difficult times like this pandemic, and it will likely be available this summer.
Warrior Flow Insiders is a series highlighting leaders and change agents in yoga, movement, mindfulness, mental health, social justice, and community outreach. Subscribe to Warrior Flow TV to receive future Insider profiles and other news from Warrior Flow TV. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Warrior Flow TV offers hundreds of classes including Vinyasa yoga, meditation, HIIT, Pilates, Barre, full-body workouts, Yin yoga, Restorative yoga, and much more, all for one low monthly or annual subscription fee. And a portion of every subscription supports The Warrior Flow Foundation. Click here to learn more.